If I have planted the container garden, there is always basil. It has become automatic since I have repeatedly kept that plant alive. Some years are better than others but it still survives. This year is one of the better years. My basil plant has grown like crazy! In an attempt to keep it from being predominantly patio decor, I’ve been trying to use it in my cooking. Pasta dishes is an easy default but that usually means a sauce. This time I tried something different yet not too out of the ordinary for us – One Pot Wonder Tomato Basil Pasta Recipe from Apron Strings.
Here is my breakdown of this recipe.
- Ingredients shopping: Easy. Other than the fresh basil outside, everything but the linguine and the vegetable broth was already in the kitchen.
- Prep: Easy/Medium. Though it is basic cutting and measuring, the cutting part needs to be thinly slicing the garlic and onion. I don’t have superb knife skills so I have to cut slowly which adds to the prep time. If you have great knife skills, this will be easy.
- Cooking: Easy/medium. The timer is your friend. I did not want to burn anything so I used it constantly.
- Make it again: Yes. You can’t go wrong with tomato, basil and pasta in my opinion. This was a great way to have that all together in one dish. I’m a fan of one pot cooking since it easily combines all the flavors and uses less pots and pans.
- Modify it: Yes. This time I used a red onion because I didn’t realize my sweet onions had gone bad until I cut into them. Plus, it was too late to go to the grocery store. I searched online about red vs sweet onions and learned that adding a bit of sugar will make the red more like the sweet. It made sense so I added ¼ tsp of white sugar. Next time I will use a sweet onion. Also, the vegetable broth box was only 4 cups so I added ½ cup of warm water. Next time I will also use low-sodium broth to cut the initial salt level. Then adding salt to taste at the end can be an individual preference.
- Works for leftovers: Yes. It reheated pretty well in the microwave. Any extra liquid did cook off but I was expecting it to do so. I could also see reheating this in the oven and topping it with shredded cheese.