The banana hook at our house is rarely empty for long though it does get stuck with overly ripe fruit from time to time. When the yellow skin starts channeling 101 Dalmatians, I start thinking one thing: banana bread. This time there was one lonely banana sitting in the fruit bowl attached to the hook. Since my usual recipes need at least a banana and a half, rather than crossing my fingers that this wasn’t a *”Two Banana Day” and winging it, I decided to see what I could find while searching for a one banana based recipe. What a Crock’s “One Banana Banana Bread” seemed very straight forward and easy so it was the winner.
Here is my breakdown of this recipe.
- Ingredients shopping: Easy. Everything was already in the kitchen.
- Prep: Easy. The most time consuming part was melting the butter and chopping up the banana. Since I was using my KitchenAid stand mixer, I wasn’t going to experiment and see what the paddle attachment could do to a whole banana. My guess was make a mess.
- Baking: The muffins cooked much faster than I expected. Maybe I preheated the oven too long. I know I was multi-tasking while they were in the oven so that too can be added to the list of why they came out a bit too browned and slightly burnt at the bottoms of a few. Luckily, I had used cupcake liners or I would have been scraping muffin bits out of the bottom of the tins..
- Make it again: Yes. Even with the slight overbaking, they were quite good. Darth Husband liked them as well. Next time I’ll set my timer at short intervals to figure out the best range of time for my oven.
- Modify it: Maybe, but not right away. Getting a nice golden color needs to happen first. Then I can see what I could add. Nuts were an optional ingredient but since we had none in the pantry that would mesh well, I opted not to use them.
- Works for leftovers: Baked goods generally result in leftovers in our house. I stored them in a gallon sized zip top bag and a few days later, they still tasted good.
*Big Block Sing Song is a kid show I never knew about until someone mentioned the song. Of course, it got stuck in my head.