I had purchased ground beef while planning for a totally different dinner. What I didn’t do was make sure I had all the ingredients for that recipe. After grumbling about my shopping fail, I didn’t want to do something on auto-pilot and found this recipe on Pinterest: Skinny Beef Casserole from Skinny Mom. I think it was meant to be since I had everything on hand except for the tomato sauce. The can of creamed corn that has been shuffled around the back of the pantry would finally be used too.
Here is my breakdown of this recipe.
- Ingredients shopping: Easy – I “shopped” my pantry. Since we didn’t have tomato sauce, I substituted diced tomatoes.
- Prep: Easy – Basic cutting and measuring
- Cooking: Easy – The hardest part was transferring everything from the saucepan to the baking dish.
- Make it again: Yes. I had seconds. I really liked that the sauce wasn’t heavy since it was a mix of the creamed corn and diced tomatoes.
- Modify it: Yes. Though swapping the tomato sauce for the diced tomatoes was more of a necessity to actually make this recipe this time, I can see myself adding different vegetables to the mix. Both Darth Husband and I added a bit of salt and pepper. I added some shredded cheese.
- Works for leftovers: Yes – This ended up being a lot of food. If I make the full recipe next time, and aren’t planning dinner for a group, I plan to either freeze some or give it away.